Neil F. Lobo Research Associate Professor
My research focuses on disease transmission in disease endemic countries with lab components. Malaria is transmitted by of species of Anopheles mosquitoes that vary markedly in biological attributes - including behavioral patterns of blood feeding (endophily vs exophily or night vs dawn/dusk blood feeding), response to insecticides, and larval habitats. Such variation and changes in behavior (in response to interventions) impacts the effectiveness of interventions such as Insecticide Treated bednets (ITN), indoor residual spraying (IRS), Spatial Repellants (SRs) and larval habitat treatments or modifications. The correct identification of local mosquito species with their associated behaviors, contribution to disease transmission, and their susceptibility to interventions, is vital in the decision process that leads to the most efficient selection of interventions to reduce disease burden. I am interested in vector species partitioning, the genetic basis of associated behavioral phenotypes that effect malaria transmission and might also allow for novel intervention strategies. I work on studies that look at malaria, and, more recently Dengue transmission dynamics from a global perspective – investigating mosquito vector species, their behaviors, the effects of both human and vector behaviors on disease transmission and interventions, the effectiveness of interventions based on site specific disease transmission characteristics – which include the use of disease simulations to both inform and explain study design and results respectively.
- Research Associate Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Notre Dame, IN 2011-Present
- Research Assistant Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Notre Dame, IN 2004-2011
- Post Doctoral Fellow, Indiana Center for Insect Genomics, Center for Global Health and Infectious Diseases (CGHID), University of Notre Dame, IN 2000-2004
- Ph.D. Molecular Biology, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN, USA. 1995-2000
- B.Sc. St. Josephs’ Arts and Science College, Bangalore, India. 1990-1994
- Contrasting Transmission Dynamics of Co-endemic Plasmodium vivax and P. falciparum: Implications for Malaria Control and Elimination. Noviyanti R, Coutrier F, Utami RA, Trimarsanto H, Tirta YK, Trianty L, Kusuma A, Sutanto I, Kosasih A, Kusriastuti R, Hawley WA, Laihad F, Lobo N, Marfurt J, Clark TG, Price RN, Auburn S. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2015 May 7;9(5).
- Phlebotomus papatasi SP15: mRNA expression variability and amino acid sequence polymorphisms of field populations. Ramalho-Ortigão M, Coutinho-Abreu IV, Balbino VQ, Figueiredo CA Jr, Mukbel R, Dayem H, Hanafi HA, El-Hossary SS, Fawaz Eel-D, Abo-Shehada M, Hoel DF, Stayback G, Wadsworth M, Shoue DA, Abrudan J, Lobo NF, Mahon AR, Emrich SJ, Kamhawi S, Collins FH, McDowell MA. Parasit Vectors. 2015 May 29;8(1):298.
- Mosquito genomics. Highly evolvable malaria vectors: the genomes of 16 Anopheles mosquitoes. Neafsey DE, et al., Science. 2015 Jan 2;347(6217).
- Persistently high estimates of late night, indoor exposure to malaria vectors despite high coverage of insecticide treated nets. M Nabie Bayoh, Edward D Walker, Jackline Kosgei, Maurice Ombok, George B Olang,Andrew K Githeko, Gerry F Killeen, Peter Otieno, Meghna Desai, Neil F Lobo, John M Vulule,Mary J Hamel, Simon Kariuki and John E Gimnig. Parasites & Vectors 2014, 7:380.
- A cost-effective, community-based, mosquito-trapping scheme that captures spatial and temporal heterogeneities of malaria transmission in rural Zambia. Sikaala CH, Chinula D, Chanda J, Hamainza B, Mwenda M, Mukali I, Kamuliwo M, Lobo NF, Seyoum A, Killeen GF. Malar J. 2014 Jun 7;13:225.
- Gene expression in closely related species mirrors local adaptation: consequences for responses to a warming world. O'Neil ST, Dzurisin JD, Williams CM, Lobo NF, Higgins JK, Deines JM, Carmichael RD, Zeng E, Tan JC, Wu GC, Emrich SJ, Hellmann JJ. Mol Ecol. 2014 Jun;23(11):2686-98.
- Microsatellite and mitochondrial markers reveal strong gene flow barriers for Anopheles farauti in the Solomon Archipelago: implications for malaria vector control. Ambrose L, Cooper RD, Russell TL, Burkot TR, Lobo NF, Collins FH, Hii J, Beebe NW. Int J Parasitol. 44 (2014) 225-233.
- Seasonal changes in the antibody responses against Plasmodium falciparum merozoite surface antigens in areas of differing malaria endemicity in Indonesia, Supargiyono, Supargiyono; Bretscher, Michael T.; Wijayanti, Mahardika A.; Sutanto, Inge; Nugraheni, Dian; Rozqie, Royhan; Kosasih, Ayleen A.; Sulistyawati, Sulistyawati; Hawley, William A.; Lobo, Neil F.; Cook, Jackie; Drakeley, Chris J., MALARIA JOURNAL (2013) 12
- The Effect of Primaquine on Gametocyte Development and Clearance in the Treatment of Uncomplicated Falciparum Malaria With Dihydroartemisinin-Piperaquine in South Sumatra, Western Indonesia: An Open-Label, Randomized, Controlled Trial, Sutanto, Inge; Suprijanto, Sri; Kosasih, Ayleen; Dahlan, Muhamad S.; Syafruddin, Din; Kusriastuti, Rita; Hawley, William A.; Lobo, Neil F.; ter Kuile, Feiko O., CLINICAL INFECTIOUS DISEASES (2013) 56(5), 685-693
- Successful malaria elimination strategies require interventions that target changing vector behaviours, Russell, Tanya L.; Beebe, Nigel W.; Cooper, Robert D.; Lobo, Neil F.; Burkot, Thomas R., MALARIA JOURNAL (2013) 12
- Barrier screens: a method to sample blood-fed and host-seeking exophilic mosquitoes, Burkot, Thomas R.; Russell, Tanya L.; Reimer, Lisa J.; Bugoro, Hugo; Beebe, Nigel W.; Cooper, Robert D.; Sukawati, Supraman; Collins, Frank H.; Lobo, Neil F., MALARIA JOURNAL (2013) 12
- Incidence of Malaria among Mosquito Collectors Conducting Human Landing Catches in Western Kenya, Gimnig, John E.; Walker, Edward D.; Otieno, Peter; Kosgei, Jackline; Olang, George; Ombok, Maurice; Williamson, John; Marwanga, Doris; Abong'o, Daisy; Desai, Meghna; Kariuki, Simon; Hamel, Mary J.; Lobo, Neil F.; Vulule, John; Bayoh, M. Nabie, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF TROPICAL MEDICINE AND HYGIENE (2013) 88(2), 301-308
- Measurement of Plasmodium falciparum transmission intensity using serological cohort data from Indonesian schoolchildren, Bretscher, Michael T.; Supargiyono, Supargiyono; Wijayanti, Mahardika A.; Nugraheni, Dian; Widyastuti, Anis N.; Lobo, Neil F.; Hawley, William A.; Cook, Jackie; Drakeley, Chris J., MALARIA JOURNAL (2013) 12
- Novel Vectors of Malaria Parasites in the Western Highlands of Kenya, Stevenson, Jennifer; St Laurent, Brandyce; Lobo, Neil F.; Cooke, Mary K.; Kahindi, Samuel C.; Oriango, Robin M.; Harbach, Ralph E.; Cox, Jonathan; Drakeley, Chris, EMERGING INFECTIOUS DISEASES (2012) 18(9), 1547-1549