Scott Small Research Assistant Professor
In my research I apply genomics to problems in infectious disease and public health. Part of the inherent challenge of infectious disease is it extends beyond specific scientific disciplines, occurring at the interface of human behavior and ecology as well as molecular biology and evolution. Solutions therefore demand an innovative pairing of theory and fundamental science with applied research toward evidence-based policy-making.
- Research Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Research Associate, Case Western Reserve University, Centers for Global Health and Infectious Diseases
- Ph.D in Genetics, University of Georgia 2009
- M. V Cannon, J. Hester, A. Shalkhauser, E. R. Chan, K. Logue, S. T. Small, and D. Serre. In silico assessment of primers for eDNA studies using PrimerTree and application to characterize the biodiversity surrounding the Cuyahoga River. Scientific reports, vol. 6, p. 22908, Jan. 2016.
- S. T. Small, L. J. Reimer, D. J. Tisch, C. L. King, B. M. Christensen, P. M. Siba, J. W. Kazura, D. Serre, and P. A. Zimmerman. Population genomics of the filarial nematode parasite Wuchereria bancrofti from mosquitoes. Molecular Ecology, Feb. 2016.
- Logue K, Small ST, Chan ER, Reimer L, Siba PM, Zimmerman PA, Serre D. Whole-genome sequencing reveals absence of recent gene flow and separate demographic histories for Anopheles punctulatus mosquitoes in Papua New Guinea. Molecular Ecology. 2015 Mar;24(6):1263-74.
- Small ST, Tisch DJ, Zimmerman PA. Molecular epidemiology, phylogeny and evolution of the filarial nematode Wuchereria bancrofti. Infection Genetics and Evolution. 2014 Dec;28:33-43.
- Small ST, Ramesh A, Bun K, Reimer L, Thomsen E, Baea M, Bockarie MJ, Siba P, Kazura JW, Tisch DJ, Zimmerman PA. Population genetics of the filarial worm Wuchereria bancrofti in a post-treatment region of Papua New Guinea: insights into diversity and life history. PLoS Neglected Tropical Disease. 2013;7(7):e2308.
- Logue K, Chan ER, Phipps TC, Small ST, Reimer L, Henry-Halldin C, Sattabongkot J, Siba PM, Zimmerman PA, Serre D. Mitochondrial genome sequences reveal deep divergences among Anopheles punctulatus sibling species in Papua New Guinea. Malaria Journal. 2013 Feb 14;12:64.
- Small ST, Eytan R, Bockrath K, Wares JP. Evaluation of genetic structure across freshwater mussel community (genus Elliptio) in the Altamaha River basin. Conservation genetics. 2012 August 04; 13(4):965-975.
- Ramesh A*, Small ST*, Kloos ZA, Kazura JW, Nutman TB, Serre D, Zimmerman PA. The complete mitochondrial genome sequence of the filarial nematode Wuchereria bancrofti from three geographic isolates provides evidence of complex demographic history. Molecular Biochemical Parasitology. 2012 May;183(1):32-41.*equally contributing authors
- Ward R, Shaw KM, Small ST, Lellis WA. Development and characterization of microsatellite loci in Elliptio complanata (Mollusca: Unionidae) and cross-species amplification within the genus Elliptio. Conservation genetics. 2010 February 21; 2(1):131-134.
- Small ST, Wares JP. Phylogeography and marine retention. Journal of biogeography. 2009 December 22; 37(4):781-784.