The College of Science is hosting the 1st annual CoS Postdocs Lightning Talk Competition in honor of Postdoc Appreciation Week (Sept 19-22). This competition highlights exciting scientific research being conducted by postdoctoral scholars in the College of Science, and helps develop presentation and research communication skills. The goal is for postdocs to effectively explain their research in three minutes to a non-specialist audience, with the support of a single slide.
The Department of Biological Sciences will be hosting a qualifying round on Tuesday, September 13, 2022 in 283 Galvin from 4:00-5:00pm. Three finalists selected from this round will move on to the CoS stage of the competition with the chance to win a cash prize of up to $500. The CoS stage of the competition will be held on Thursday, September 22, 2022 in 101 Jordan Hall from 4:00-5:00pm with a reception to follow.
How to Participate
The College of Science will host a sign up portal which will be sent to Postdocs directly.
Any Postdoctoral Fellow in the Department of Biological Sciences is eligible to participate during the qualifying round.
Three Minute Countdown
Postdocs will be able to see a two-way clock that will display a countdown for three minutes and the timer will buzz at the end of three minutes. Going over the allotted three minutes results in automatic disqualification from the competition.
- A single PowerPoint slide is permitted. No slide transitions, animations or ‘movement’ of any description are allowed. The slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration.
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and participants exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g. no poems, raps or songs).
- Presentations are to commence from the stage.
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through either movement or speech.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- Please submit a single static slide for your presentation to the CoS Dean’s office
- (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 11:59 p.m. EST on September 20 for the final round.
- After all slides have been submitted, presentation order will be generated at random.