Jeanne Romero-Severson Professor
In 100 years we have peered at the natural world and managed to build a model of what we see, from simple Mendelian phenotypes to genetic control systems of exquisite precision to the improbably noisy biochemical reactions that produce this precision. In my program we use this accumulated knowledge to study the genetics of natural populations, from the native forest trees of eastern North America to insect vectors of human disease and most recently, beneficial seed endophytes.
Our basic research program focuses on:
- Population dynamics, spatial genetic structure, gene flow, adaptive genetic variation and spontaneous interspecific hybridization, primarily in Quercus, but also in Castanea, Juglans and Fraxinus.
- Genetic architecture and speciation mechanisms in the genus Quercus
- Gene discovery and population processes in culicine and anopheline mosquitos
The tree genetic Core Facility does marker development and genotyping for both natural populations of forest trees and cultivated nut trees. We focus on scalable genotyping approaches that suit both small growers and large projects, and can be used to answer both applied and basic questions.
- Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Notre Dame 2003-Present
- Director, Tree Genetics Core Facility, University of Notre Dame 2008-Present
- Associate Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Notre Dame 2003-2013
- Assistant Professor, Department of Forestry and Natural Resources
and Department of Agronomy, Purdue University 1993-2003
- Visiting Scientist, Pioneer Hi-bred Seeds International 1998-1999
- Product Manager, Linkage Genetics/Perkin-Elmer Agricultural Genetics/ABI 1995-1998
- Director of Biometrics, Mycogen Plant Sciences 1993-1995
- Research Manager, Agrigenetics 1990-1993
- Senior Scientist II, Agrigenetics 1988-1990
- Senior Scientist I, Agrigenetics 1986-1988
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Agrigenetics 1985
- Postdoctoral Fellow, USDA-APHIS 1983-1984
- University of Wisconsin, Madison Ph.D. Plant Breeding and Plant Genetics 1984
- University of Wisconsin, Madison M.S. Plant Breeding and Plant Genetics 1975
- University of Wisconsin, Madison B.S. Molecular Biology 1974
- Kristian A. Stevens, Keith Woeste, Sandeep Chakraborty, Marc W. Crepeau, Charles A. Leslie, Pedro J. Martínez-García, Daniela Puiu, Jeanne Romero-Severson, Mark Coggeshall, Abhaya M. Dandekar, Daniel Klupfel, David B. Neale, Steven L. Salzberg, and Charles H. Langley. Genomic variation among and within six Juglans species (2018) G3: Genes|Genomes|Genetics. Accepted 03/20/2018
- Cannon, C. H., O. Brendel, M. Deng, A. L. Hipp, A. Kremer, C. S. Kua, C. Plomion, J. Romero‐Severson and V. L. Sork (2018). Gaining a global perspective on Fagaceae genomic diversification and adaptation. New Phytologist 218(3): 894-897.
- Meireles JE, Beulke B, Borkowski DS, Romero-Severson J, Cavender-Bares, J. Balancing selection maintains diversity in a cold tolerance gene in broadly distributed live oaks. Genome 60 (9), 778-790.
- Borkowski D, Hoban SM, Chatwin W, Romero-Severson J; 2017 Rangewide population differentiation and population substructure in Quercus rubra L. Tree Genetics and Genomes 13:67. doi.org/10.1007/s11295-017- 1148-6
- Konar A, Choudhury O, Bullis R, Fiedler F, Kruser JM, Stephens MT, Gailing O, Schlarbaum SE, Coggeshall MV, Staton ME, Emrich SE, Romero-Severson J. 2017 High-quality genetic mapping with ddRADseq in the non-model tree Quercus rubra. BMC Genomics 18:417. doi.org/10.1186/s12864-017- 3765-8
- Staton, Margaret, Best, Teodora, Khodwekar, Sudhir, Owusu, Sandra, Xu, Tao, Xu, Yi, Jennings, Tara, Cronn, Richard, Arumuganathan, A. Kathiravetpilla, Coggeshall, Mark, Gailing, Oliver, Liang, Haiying, Romero-Severson, Jeanne, Schlarbaum, Scott, Carlson, John E.. 2016 Preliminary Genomic Characterization of Ten Hardwood Tree Species from Multiplexed Low Coverage Whole Genome Sequencing. PLoS ONE 10(12): e0145031. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0145031
- Smith Hilary A, White BJ, Kundert P, Changde C, Romero-Severson J, Andolfatto P, Besansky N. 2015 Genome-wide QTL mapping of saltwater tolerance in sibling species of Anopheles(malaria vector) mosquitoes. Heredity 115: 471-479. doi: 10.1007/s10142-014- 0376-1s
- Laricchia KM, McCleary TS, Hoban SM, Borkowski D, Romero-Severson J. 2015 Chloroplast haplotypes suggest preglacial differentiation and separate postglacial migration paths for the threatened North American forest tree Juglans cinerea L Tree Genetics & Genomes 11 doi:10.1007/s11295-015- 0852-3
- Andi G. Noakes*, Teodora Best, Margaret E. Staton, Jennifer Koch, Jeanne Romero-Severson. 2014. Cross amplification of 15 EST-SSR markers in the genus Fraxinus. Conservation Genetics Resources 6:969-970
- Susanta K. Behura, Consuelo Gomez-Machorro, Becky deBruyn, Diane D. Lovin, Brent W. Harker, Jeanne Romero-Severson, Akio Mori, David W. Severson. 2014. Influence of mosquito genotype on transcriptional response to dengue virus infection. Functional & Integrative Genomics14:581-589