Rachel Novick Associate Professor of the Practice
Dr. Rachel Novick advises over 100 students enrolled in the Sustainability Minor, which is the academic hub for undergraduate sustainability studies on campus. She collaborates with departments and institutes across the university to expand Notre Dame’s sustainability curriculum.
In addition to teaching The Marine Environment in Biological Sciences and the Sustainability Minor’s Senior Seminar, she has worked to expand experiential learning of sustainability on campus by co-developing new courses in horticulture, plant identification, and the practice of sustainability on the Notre Dame, Saint Mary’s, and Holy Cross College campuses.
In the community, Dr. Novick is a member of the South Bend Parks Department Ecological Advisory Council and the Shirley Heinze Land Trust St. Joseph County Advisory Council, and also serves as a Sustainability Consultant for the Indiana Toll Road. She is a LEED Accredited Professional in New Construction and Major Renovations.
Rachel Novick is interested in global change from an ecological, evolutionary, and policy perspective. Her focus areas in teaching and advising include ocean health, sustainable agriculture, informal sustainability education, and greening the built environment. She is also interested in the intersections between sustainability and public health, ethics, and theology.
- Director of the Minor in Sustainability
- Assistant Professor of the Practice
- Education & Outreach Program Manager, Office of Sustainability, University of Notre Dame 2008-2013
- Research Fellow, Connecticut Fund for the Environment 2007-2008
- Ph.D., Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, Yale University
- M.F.S., Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Sciences
- B.S., Biological Sciences, Cornell University
Selected Professional Activities:
- LEED Accredited Professional in new construction and major renovations
- South Bend City Parks Ecological Advisory Committee
- Shirley Heinze Land Trust St. Joseph County Advisory Council
- Sustainability Consultant for the Indiana Toll Road