Sean Moore Research Assistant Professor
My research is focused on combining surveillance and modeling approaches to understand how socioeconomic, climatic, and ecological drivers influence the epidemiology of water-borne and vector-borne pathogens. My research specialties include integrating ecological and climatic variables into mechanistic and statistical models to explain infectious disease dynamics and predict future transmission dynamics. My current research is focused on the epidemiology of cholera, chikungunya, and Zika.
- Research Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame 2017-Present
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health 2013-2017
- Postdoctoral Fellow, National Center for Atmospheric Research 2010-2013
- Guest Research, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) 2010-2013
- Ph.D. Zoology, Oregon State University 2010
- B.S. Biology, Virginia Tech University 2004
- B.B.A. Operations and Information Technology, College of William and Mary 1998
- Moore, S.M., R.J. Oidtman, K.J. Soda, A.S. Siraj, R.C. Reiner, C.M. Barker, and T.A. Perkins. 2020. Leveraging multiple data types to estimate the size of the Zika epidemic in the Americas. PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 14: e0008640.
- Perkins, T.A.*, S.M. Cavany*, S.M. Moore*, RJ Oidtman, A Lerch, and M. Poterek. 2020. Estimating unobserved SARS-CoV-2 infections in the United States. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 17(36): 22597-22602.
- Azman, A., S.M. Moore, and J. Lessler. 2020. Surveillance and the global fight against cholera: setting priorities and tracking progress. Vaccine, 38(Suppl 1): A28-A30.
- Lee, E.C., A.S. Azman, J. Kaminsky, S.M. Moore, H.S. McKay, and J. Lessler. 2019. The projected impact of geographic targeting of oral cholera vaccination in sub-Saharan Africa: a modeling study. PLoS Medicine 16: e1003003.
- Johansson, M., K.M. Alpfeldorf, S. Dobson, J. Devita, A. Buczak, S.M. Moore, et al. 2019. An open challenge to advance probabilistic forecasting for dengue epidemics. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 116(48): 24268-24274.
- Moore, S.M., Q.A. ten Bosch, A.S. Siraj, K.J. Soda, G. España, A. Campo, S. Gómez, D. Salas, B. Raybaud, E. Wenger, P. Welkhoff, and T.A. Perkins. 2018. Local and regional dynamics of chikungunya virus transmission in Colombia: the role of mismatched spatial heterogeneity. BMC Medicine 16: 152.
- Lessler, J.*, S.M. Moore*, S.M., F.J. Luquero, H.S. McKay, et al. 2018. Mapping the burden of cholera in Africa and implications for control: an analysis of data across geographical scales. Lancet 391 (10133): 1908-1915.
- Moore, S.M., A.S. Azman, B.F. Zaitchik, E.D. Mintz, et al. 2017. El Nino and the shifting geography of cholera in Africa. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 114 (17): 4436-4441.