W. Matthew Leevy Research Associate Professor
Matt is currently a research associate professor within the Department of Biological Sciences at the University of Notre Dame, and serves as the Director of the IDEA Center Innovation Lab. This space integrates design, prototyping, and start-up garage assets to drive the creation of parts and assemblies for commercialization, research, and education. Matt also serves as a capstone project adviser within the ESTEEM Graduate Program. Over the past ten years, Matt's lab has generated dozens of manuscripts and been awarded three patents that have served as cornerstones for the creation of two successful small-business startups: In Vivo Concepts LLC (1st Source Award, 2014), and Benefactory Manufacturing and Design LLC. Matt is also a retired Army Reserve Captain with 22 years of total service. Taken together, Matt operates a vibrant, collaborative, and entrepreneurial lab space, with broad experience in object fabrication, biomedical imaging technologies, and business creation.
Matt is a graduate of the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign (B.S. Bioengineering) and Washington University in Saint Louis (Ph.D. Biophysics).
- Research Associate Professor and Director of Biological Imaging, University of Notre Dame, IN 2014-Present
- Research Assistant Professor and Director of Biological Imaging, University of Notre Dame, IN 2008-2014
- Application Scientist, Carestream Health Molecular Imaging, New Haven, CT 2007-2008
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, University of Notre Dame, IN 2005-2007
- Ph.D. Biophysics, Washington University in Saint Louis, MO 2000-2005
- B.S. Bioengineering, University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign 1996-2000
- Smith, B. A.; Gammon, S. T.; Xiao, S.; Wang, W.; Chapman, S.; McDermott, R.; Suckow, M.; Johnson, J. R.; Piwnica-Worms, D.; Gokel, G. W.; Smith, B. D.; Leevy, W. M. “In Vivo Imaging of Acute Cell Death Using a Near-Infrared Fluorescent Zinc-Dipicolylamine Probe.” Mol. Pharm. 2011, 8(2), 583-590.
- Smith, B. A.; Daschbach, Megan M.; Gammon, S. T.; Xiao, S.; Chapman, S.; Hudson, C.; Suckow, M.; Piwnica-Worms, D.; Gokel, G. W.; Leevy, W. M. “In Vivo Cell Death Mediated by Synthetic Ion Channels.” Chem. Commun. 2011, 47(28), 7977-7979.
- Sasser, T. A.; Chapman, S. C., Li, S.; Hudson, C.; Orton, S. P.; Gammon, S. T.; Correcher, C.; Leevy. W. M. “Fat/Total Volume Ratio Measurements in Murine Obesity Models.” J. Vis. Exp., 2012, 62, 3680.
- van der Veen, D. R.; Shao, J.; Chapman, S.; Leevy, W. M.; Duffield, G. E. “In Vivo Imaging of Diurnal Pattern in Brain and Heart Glucose Uptake in Mice.” PLoS One, 2012, 7(2), e31792.
- van der Veen, D. R.; Shao, J.; Chapman, S.; Leevy, W. M.; Duffield, G. E. “A Diurnal Rhythm in Glucose Uptake in Brown Adipose Tissue Revealed by In Vivo PET-FDG Imaging.” Obesity, 2012, (26 March 2012) | doi:10.1038/oby.2012.78.
- Chapman, S. E.; Diener, J. M.; Sasser, T. A.; Correcher, C.; Gonzalez, A. J.; Van Avermaete, T.; Leevy, W. M. “Dual Tracer Imaging of SPECT and PET Probex in Living Mice Using a Sequential Protocol. Am. J. Nuc. Med. & Mol. Img, 2012, 2(4), 405-414.
- Orton, S. P.; Praagh, A. V.; Potenza, J. C.; Schmitthenner, H. F.; McLaughlin, W. Leevy, W. M.; “Broad Based, Non-Specific Tissue Absorbtion of Polycationic Near-Infrared Nanoparticles in Mice.” J. Biomed. Nanotech. 2013, 9, 77-85.
- Sasser, T.A.; Van Avermaete, A. E.; White, A.; Johnson, J. R.; Chapman, S.; Van Avermaete, T.; Leevy, W.M. “Non-Invasive In Vivo Imaging of Bacterial Infection with Optical or Nuclear Probes.” Curr. Topics in Med. Chem. 2013, 13(4), 479 - 487.
- Doney, E. L.; Krumdick, L. A.; Diener, J. M.; Wathen, C. A.; Chapman, S. E.; Van Avermaete, T.; Stamile, B.; Scott, J. E.; Ravosa, M. J.; Leevy, W. M. “3D Printing of Preclinical X-ray Computed Tomographic Data Sets.” J. Vis. Exp. 2013, March 22, (73), DOI 10.3791/50250. *Featured in Wired magazine
- Davison, C. A.; Chapman, S. E.; Sasser, T. A.; Wathen, C.; Diener, J.; Schafer, Z. F.; Leevy, W. M. “Multimodal Optical, X-ray CT, and SPECT Imaging of a Mouse Model of Breast Cancer Lung Metasasis. Current Molecular Medicine, 2013, 1(13), 368-376.
- Davison, C. A.; Matthew, R. Thau, Zellmer, V. R.; Chapman, S. E.; Diener, J. Wathen, C.; Leevy, W. M.; Schafer, Z. F. “Antioxidant Enzymes Mediate the Survival of Extracellular Matrix-Detached Breast Cancer Cells.” Cancer Research. 2013, 73(12), 3704-3715.
- Wathen, C. A.; Foje, N.; Van Avermaete, T.; Miramontes, B.; Chapmen, S. E.; Sasser, T. A.; Kannan, R.; Leevy, W. M. “Preclinical X-ray Computed Tomography of Soft Tissue with Native, Injectable, or Ingestible Contrast.” Sensors. 2013, 13(6).
- Wathen, C. A.; Caldwell, C,; Chanda, N.; Upendran, A.; Zambre, A.; Afrasiabi, Z.; Chapman, S. E.; Foje, N.; Leevy, W. M.; Kannan, R. “Selective X-ray Contrast Enhancement of the Spleen of Living Mice Mediated by Gold Nanorods.” Contrast Agents and Mol. Media, 2014, epub doi: 10.1002/cmmi.1617